5.30.2006

Todd's Time

Charlie Raymond came into town this weekend. Charlie and I went to school together, and we worked together a lot in the creative sequence in UT's Advertising Program. Charlie was the art director, and I the writer.

In 2003, Nokia (and their ad agency) approached UT, and asked if we'd like to participate in the launching of their new 3200 phone. They wanted a select group of advertising students to create tv spots for the phone.

Our objective was to showcase the unique feature of the phone- the ability to make the phone look the way you wanted it too. At the time, Nokia was pushing the 'independent, free spirit' angle. With the 3200, you could design your own look by cutting out pictures or by making your own art for the phone. The demographic was the HS/college crowd.

There were something like 16 people in the class...everyone partnered up to make 8 teams, to create 8 commercials. Charlie and I, of course, partnered up.

After weeks of brainstorming, we came up with 'Todd's Time'. We fell in love with the idea right away. It was funny, got our message across, and had the potential to become an entire campaign with a long lifespan. We also liked that the spot was supposed to look low-budget. We didn't HAVE a budget, and if we wrote a commercial about a spaceship, we'd have to build/pay for a spaceship.

Charlie and I created, wrote, filmed, produced, edited, and presented Todd's Time. And I even made my big-screen debut, as Todd. Here she is (a bit fuzzy on youtube):




Charlie and I were very pleased with what we ended up with. Nokia agreed-they placed our spot 2nd (behind a spot that NO ONE thought had a chance..that's the client for you).

There was talk of placing the ads on Nokia's website, with a vote to determine which spot would be reproduced with professional actors and run in a national campaign. But it never happened, and only my friends have seen 'Todd's Time'.

Nokia did send me to the Nokia Sugar Bowl, where I watched LSU trounce OU (always fun to watch OU lose) in the Big Easy. Oh, and Charlie and I got 3200's. They were pretty cool, but obsolete about 3 months later.

When I saw Charlie this weekend, I told him the news- Todd's Time isn't dead. I filmed some more as Todd, with my new camera. So hopefully, if my computer and camera start working together, you'll see more of Todd.

Stay tuned. Get excited.

15 comments:

Ajax said...

I loved it! I'm not suprised that now you make the big bucks.

emertron said...

Oh man! My computer at work isn't aligned with UTube (probably on purpose). I have to wait until I get home to see it.

the pants said...

THE NEW DELICIOUS! i am going to start using that all the time.

explauren said...

i always loved this.. I have it saved on my computer froma couple years ago and will still randomly show people! I would loooveee to see some more of Todd. Is he single? Ready to mingle?

Blog Fan 1 said...

If Todd were accidently struck with an arrow during one of his shows would he run away immediatley or would he finish his TIME.

Blog Fan 2 said...

I like that Todd doesn't try to fit it! I mean, Dinosaurs have long passed thier peak popularity (b.c. 3143424532563). Todd doesn't care.

nk said...

Are you acting? I can't even tell. It's that good.

Melissa said...

I like that Todd thinks that turtlenecks are still high fashion.

Christine said...

HAHAHA!...davguggvhqubx

Charlie said...

Ohhhh that's nice! That makes me quite happy to watch again. Thank you, Mike. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! »

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info finger blood pressure monitors Free adult stories free erotic literature Parts diagram for mercedes 4 speed manual transmission free ring tones for motorola model 66 http://www.oldsmobile-achieva.info articles-high blood pressure Joint pain relief liquid glucosamine 1st-arthritis http://www.bartending-school-ohio.info/panoramic_school_pictures.html Washington dc vitamins celebrex cardiovascular side effects Blood pressure machines at drugstores Cheap namebrand swimwear for juniors 1965 chevy impala convertible crusher hairy girls movie free

Anonymous said...

It was certainly interesting for me to read this blog. Thank you for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read the post. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

By the way, try GSM blocker to block all secret transmitters in your home or at work.